I am by far the most lazy environmentalist (sustainable-ish, remember?), so anything that I say is easy really must be. These DIY Toilet Bombs are EASY! Not only that – but it’s a natural, non-toxic, and plastic free way to keep your bathroom clean. With just 4 ingredients, these can be mixed in only 5 minutes.
What are we waiting for?!
Why is Plastic Free Important?
No one has outlived a piece of plastic. That’s a scary thought! Plastic isn’t as recyclable as most people think, and when it breaks down it enters your waterways, wildlife, and even our bloodstream! Not to mention, plastic leeches toxins that can cause some long term effects for us humans. Why not avoid that altogether and go plastic free?
Things to Know
This recipe is super simple! With only 4 active ingredients (which you probably have around the house anyway).
You could use either tap water or distilled water. The reasons for using distilled vs tap water would depend on your local tap water. If your tap water has a lot of minerals in it (hard water), it could leave water marks when cleaning (which defeats the purpose)!
Spray bottles work best for integrating the water/essential oils mix into the powdered mixture. No spray bottle? No problem! Slow and steady wins the race (explained in recipe).
DIY Toilet Bombs
- 1 1/3 cup Baking Soda
- 1/2 cup of Citric Acid
- Essential Oils: Lemon for disinfecting, add any other scent you like! I add Eucalyptus to. mine.
- 1 tsp of water
- Silicone Mold
- Spray Bottle (optional, but very useful)
- In a non-metal bowl, combine the baking soda and citric acid. Mix well.
- Combine water and essential oils either in a spray bottle, or cup or bowl.
- Spray the water and oil mix very slowly into the dry powder and mix.
The mixture will fizzle a little – that’s okay! If you are pouring from a cup or bowl it is very important to go SLOW here!
- Mix around until it is damp (like damp sand). If the mixture is too crumbly, add water a bit at a time (slowly, so it doesn’t fizzle!)
- Press into mold. Make sure that you compress well, but you don’t need to fill to the top as it will expand as it hardens
- Keep at room temperature to harden for 2-3 hours
- Store in an airtight jar until it’s time to use!
Using Your Toilet Bombs
Ready to unlock your homemade cleaning power?
Just grab one of the toilet bomb tablets, plop in your toilet bowl, and let fizzle. That’s it! Sure, grab your brush and scrub if you m use, but your toilet will be sparking clean, smell great, and all sustainably done!
See, that was easy! And all it took was 5 minutes out of your day to prep. You should only need one toilet bomb per cleaning, but I live with 3 boys so sometimes 2 is needed depending on the size.
If you don’t have a silicone mold, most baking or craft stores will. Even silicone ice cube trays works! Have fun and play around with different shapes for your toilet bombs.
Ready to make it yourself? Tag me in your creations so I can see! Need some more inspo? Check out this video I made detailing the process.
Leave a Reply